When bananas were first commercially available in the UK, home cooks were not quite sure what to do with them and so they were used in baked goods. It seems ironic that we now have to find uses or overripe bananas that no one wants to eat, and so we now put them in baked goods.
These banana chocolate chips muffins are a huge and great snack idea for the family.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin by greasing or lining with muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the wet ingredients, adding the mashed banana at the end and mix just until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the wet until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Your batter will be thick and lumpy.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill the prepared muffin tin. Fill each to the top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to 375 degrees and continue baking for an additional 25 minutes. T
- Cool in the tins for 15 minutes and then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.