Salami di Cioccolato or Chocolate salami is a traditional treat enjoyed throughout the year in Italian homes, but especially at Christmas. It is also a traditional treat in Portugal. This easy no-bake dessert will thrill your guests over the holidays.
Christmas Chocolate Salami
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate 85%
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mix of chopped nuts and seeds i.e. pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut
- 2 cups plain biscotti, crushed*
- 1 splash alcohol of your choice optional
- 2 tbsp. Icing sugar* to dust
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla until light coloured and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Add the cooled chocolate to the butter mixture and alcohol (if using) and stir to combine by hand until completely smooth. Stir in the biscuit and seed/nut mixture. Let sit to cool until it is hard enough to form.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on your work area, Place the mixture on the bottom of the long edge of the wrap leaving space on either end. Start shaping into a 10-12" log. Roll up the salami until completely encased in the wrap. Twist the ends to help compress the log and smooth the sides. Put in the fridge and after 20 minutes roll the salami on your counter if it has started to flatten. You want a round salami not a half square one.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Unwrap the salami and dust all sides with the extra powdered icing sugar. Slice and serve.