Traditional Shortcrust Pastry
This is your go-to sweet crust recipe for open faced tarts.
Servings 1 crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp. sugar or sugar substitute
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 large egg yolks I freeze the whites for future baking
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 2 tbsp. cold water
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar. Work in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (if you must you may use a food processor). Add the egg yolks, vanilla and water until a smooth dough is formed. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
- Unwrap the chilled pastry and roll out as thin as you can (cuts the calories) to fit a 9-inch fluted panWork the dough into the crevices of the pan.
- Line with tin foil, fill with baking beans and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for 5 minutes.