When your garden gives you a lot of zucchini, instead of zucchini bread, try these mock apple bars. Seriously, they taste like apples.
Zapple (Zucchini) Bars
When your garden gives you a lot of zucchini, instead of zucchini bread, try this delicious mock apple bars
Servings 12 servings
- 4 cups zucchini peeled, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups brown sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup cold butter diced
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Add zucchini and lemon juice to a large saucepan on low-medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes until the zucchini is fork tender.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook for another minute or so. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Prepare the crust by mixing the flour and sugar in a large bowl, then cut in the cold butter until the mixture reaches a pea-sized crumb consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch square pan.
- Add 1/2 the flour mixture into the zucchini and mix well. This will allow the zucchini to hold its shape.
- Split the remaining crumb mixture in two. Press half into a greased remaining crust mixture into a greased 9 inch square pan.
- Spread zucchini mixture over crust. Crumble remaining crumb mixture over zucchini and sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or cold cut into slices.