This is a great recipe for gardeners who have a large bounty of zucchini. Works well as a toast spread, crudité dip, side dish, and additive to other savoury dishes. It has ato mild flavour which you can kick up a notch to make it your own.
Versatile Zucchini Spread
This is a versatile dish for using up zucchini. Works well as a toast spread, crudité dip, side dish, and additive to other savoury dishes.
Servings 2 cups
- 8 cups zucchini shredded
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated (optional)
- Squeeze the excess water out of the shredded zucchini.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a deep frying pan on medium. Add the chopped shallot and garlic and lightly sauté,
- Add the zucchini and cook for 20 minutes or so, stirring until the zucchini has caramelized and the mixture looks like a thick jam. If you are adding the parmesan do so at the end and let it melt before taking off the stove.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Spoon into your small glass canning jars and store in the refrigerator. You can also can for storage and giving away as holiday gifts.