If you love the flavour of Earl Grey, you will love this version of Créme Anglaise for a dessert sauce.
Delicate Earl Grey Créme Anglaise
If you love Earl Grey you will love this delicately flavored dessert sauce for your favorite desserts.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean pod
- Bring the milk and vanilla to a simmer in a saucepan. Put the tea bags into the milk, and let steep for ten minutes. Then remove the teabags from the milk, making sure to squeeze out all of the liquid.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar thoroughly until the mixture becomes pale yellow.
- Pour about half of the milk into the eggs, mixing continuously. Pour the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk, and cook for a short time over medium heat, stirring constantly. Do not let the mixture boil, and test for readiness by dipping a spatula into it and running your finger over the coated spatula. The créme is done when it is thick enough that the trail wiped away by your finger remains.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir it continuously for another two minutes. To complete cooling quickly, place the bowl in a larger bowl of ice and stir the créme until cool.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!