This is a fabulously rich chocolate dessert which is sure to please everyone, but not just those following a low carb, gluten free and keto fans. The secret ingredient is beet. The torte differs from cake as it is made is made of eggs, little or no flour, using ground nuts to enhance the texture. It is the perfect dessert for those who avoid flour.
Not only do beets taste great, they are heart healthy. Need proof? Check out this recent study:“Beetroot Juice and Blood Pressure: A Study Funded By The British Heart Foundation”.
Beet this Rich Chocolate KetoTorte
This is a fabulously rich chocolate dessert which is sure to please everyone, but not just those following a low carb, gluten free and keto fans. The secret ingredient is beet. Tortes differs from cake because there is little to no flour, using ground nuts to enhance the texture. It is the perfect dessert for those who avoid flour.
- 4 large beets olive oil baked and cooled (see instructions below)
- 3/4 cup dark baking cocoa powder
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Swerve
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a springform pan with olive oil. I use a 10" tin, but you can use an 8 or 9 inch pan to get a higher cake. Trace the bottom on the pan on parchment paper and cut to line the base of the tin.
- Puree the beets in a food processor until you have a lovely red thick soupy mixture. Place the beets in a medium sixed bowl.
- Separate the eggs. Place the whites in a large clean glass or metal bowl and add the yolks in with the beets.
- To the beet bowl also add the sugar, almond flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into the beetroot mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Gently run a skewer through the batter to remove large air bubbles. Bake for around 50 minutes, or until risen and cooked through. A snaller tin will take more time to bake. It is done when a toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
- Let the torte cool for a few minutes then remove the outer ring. Cool on a wire rack
Prepare the Glaze
- Prepare the glaze when you are ready to decorate. Heat the cream to the boil. Add the chocolate and mix until combined.
Decorate the cake
- Once the torte has cooled, remove the bottom of the pan and put back on the wire rack. Place the rack on baking sheet. Pour or ladle the glaze and spread over the top with an offset spatula and let fall over the sides, ensuring full coverage. It will take a little time for the chocolate to set so add keto friendly garnishes to your hearts delight. Dust with Stevia icing sugar, add strawberries, chopped nuts..
- Serve with whipped cream sweetened with Stevia.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!