This traditional British pudding has a luscious velvet feel in your mouth which can be enjoyed hot or cold. If you can’t make banana bread fast enough to use up your overripe bananas, here is a great recipe which uses 5 ripe bananas.
British Baked Banana Pudding
- 5 large overripe bananas 2 lbs frozen
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup caster sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Grease a 8" baking dish or 4 individual ramekins.
- Mash the bananas into a pulp.
- Mix in the melted butter, vanilla extract, sugar, beaten egg and flour. If you want more texture, add walnuts.
- Pour into the dish and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown, right to the centre. The individual ramekins will take 15 minutes.
- You can serve hot or cold, garnished with fresh bananas, nuts, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. The flavours are enhanced the next day.