Sfougato is a traditional Greek egg-based dish, cooked much like the Italian frittata. This easy breakfast dish is typically made by combining beaten eggs with zucchini, crumbled feta, and plenty of fresh herbs. It is great in the summer with plenty of zucchini and herbs growing in the garden.
The sfougato is an easy summer breakfast dish. It is made by whipping eggs and mixing them with zucchini that has been sautéed with onions and fresh herbs.
Historically, sfougato was prepared in villages and, along with a salad and bread, put into a “furia”, a cloth in which the food was put and then folded diametrically and tied with a knot. The villagers then took the furia with them to the fields where they worked in order to have a meal.
It is served accompanied by yogurt, tomato salad and, if desired, smoked salmon or trout.
This recipe is a quick and easy great light addition to your brunch table. It can be served warm or at room temperature.
Easy Classic Greek Sfougato
- 9" baking dish
- 2 cups zucchini, grated about 2 zucchini
- 1 tsp. Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 large large eggs
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tbsp. dill fresh, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. oregano fresh, minced
- Heat oven to 375'F and lightly grease a 9" square baking dish.
- Toss zucchini with 1 teaspoon salt and let drain in fine-mesh strainer for 10 minutes. Squeeze the water out, using a dish towel
- Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the green onions and garlic and cook to soften, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, cover, and cook until zucchini has released its liquid, which should take 5 - 10 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook until zucchini is dry (another minute or so) and then take off the heat.
- Beat eggs, milk, and ½ teaspoon pepper together with fork in a medium sized bowl until thoroughly combined and mixture is pure yellow; do not overbeat.
- Stir in zucchini mixture, feta, dill, and oregano until combined.
- Transfer mixture to your prepared dish and bake until eggs are just set and edges are beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Slice into 4 pieces, and use a flipper to plate. Can be served warm or at room temperature.