Gardeners are warned every year about how much zucchini their plants will produce and yet we persist in planting a few more plants than we really need. Here is a quick and great savoury recipe to serve up for dinner. Bonus for those who eat keto and gluten-free, this dish is definitely for you.
Italian Stuffed Zucchini
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage mild or hot
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 cups pasta sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- Slice each zucchini lengthwise. Using a sharp knife cut out a rectangle deep, but not all the way through. Use a spoon to scrape out the flesh. Place the scooped out zucchini halves in a 9x13" baking dish or baking sheet, lined with foil. Chop the zucchini flesh into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan on medium heat. Break open the sausage casings and crumble into the pan. Sauté until the sausage is thoroughly cooked which should take 5 or 6 minutes. Add the garlic and chopped zucchini flesh and cook for another 5 minutes until the zucchini is browned. Remove the heat.
- Begin to preheat the oven to 400ºF. Distribute the sausage mixture amongst the scooped zucchini halves. Top with a layer of pasta sauce and then the cheese.
- Bake the zucchini for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and started to brown. I don't let the zucchini get too soft as I like a bit of a crunch to add another texture to your bite.