The Edwardians were gaga over jiggly jelly salads and desserts, and we often saw a jelly salad on display in the Downton kitchens. This is a family favourite served on special occasions.
Jellied Fruit Salad
- 1 tbsp. gelatin unflavored
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup pineapple juice hot
- 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 large bananas sliced
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1 large orange juiced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 cup pineapple diced
- Soak gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Add the hot pineapple juice, sugar and salt. Stir until dissolved Add lemon and orange juice. Cool.
- 1. When the jelly begins to thicken add the fruit and scoop into a mould to let set. 2 If you want to create a layered salad, just layer the fruit in the mould and then pour over the cooled jelly before it thickens and then let sit for 2 to 3 hours.
- To unmould, dip the mould into a large bowl of warm water up to the rim for a few seconds. Place your service platter on top and invert. It should come out cleanly.