Julia Child documented a number of variations in Volume 1 in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. This is her authentic recipe.
If carbs and gluten aren’t your thing, I have a keto version of the recipe that everyone will still love.
Julia Child's Recipe for Easy Blueberry Clafoutis
- shallow baking dish
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp. icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 7 or 8 cup fireproof baking dish or Pyrex pie plate.
- In a blender combine the milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour until light and frothy.
- Pour a 1/4 inch layer of the batter in the baking dish. Place in the oven* until a film of batter sets in the pan (about 2-3minutes).
- Remove from the heat and spread the blueberries over the batter. Sprinkle on the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar. Carefully pour on the rest of the batter on top of the blueberries.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for about 50 minutes to an hour. The clafouti is done when puffed and brown, and a knife plunged in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve warm. it will shrink slightly as it cools.
- cherry with liquor
- clafoutis a la Bourdaloue (cherry or pear with almonds)