Ketogenic diets have existed since the 1900s, first used as a medical treatment. It is now a popular lifestyle choice for those who wish to eat a low carb diet.
If you are also lactose intolerant this is a great ice cream recipe to try.
Keto No Dairy Ice Cream
- 2 cups coconut milk full fat chilled
- 1.5 cups peanut butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Stevia powdered*
- 1/4 cup vodka
- Ensure your ice cream container is fully frozen. If you don't have an ice cream maker, use a metal loaf pan. and ensure it is in the freezer.
- Mix all the ingredients until thick and creamy. A food processor is the most efficient way of doing this. Place in your ice cream maker and start processing for 20 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- If you freeze leftovers, ensure you let them thaw a few minutes for trying to scoop. Hand made ice cream is always going to be harder than commercially made products. My trick is to make popsicles since you want them hard on the outside anyway.
Make your Own Coconut Milk
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch of salt
- Place the coconut, water, and salt into blender or food processor and blend for a minute.
- Strain through a jelly or nut bag to remove the remaining pulp. I keep the pulp refrigerated in a sealed jar to use in my baking.
- Store the milk in a sealed jar in the fridge.