This palate cleanser was served to first class passengers during the fateful last dinner aboard the Titanic on April 14th, 1912. The famous french chef Auguste Escoffier, championed alcoholic shaved ices to be served between courses.
Punch Romaine, the Infamous Titanic Punch
- 6 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup simple syrup
- 2 cups champagne or sparkling wine.
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. White rum (optional)
- 1 medium Orange peel slivered (optional)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a blender combine the crushed ice, simple syrup, champagne, white wine, orange juice, and lemon juice.
- Blend until mixture is well combined. Spoon the mixture into individual dessert cups.
- Drizzle with rum, if desired, and garnish with orange peel.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute or until syrup is clear. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Makes 2 cups-Syrup can be stored in a sterilized container in the refrigerator for up to one month