Traditional carrot cake recipes have a lot of fat in them due to the oil. I substitute oil with applesauce and use whole wheat flour which makes a dense cake but it still moist.
Amazing Healthy Carrot Cake
Traditional carrot cake recipes have a lot of fat in them due to the oil. I substitute with applesauce, and use whole wheat flour which makes a dense cake which is still moist.
- 2 tbsp. apple butter concentrated applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar or substitute
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or substitute
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup raisins optional
- 1 cup walnuts, or pecans optional (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 F, 180 C or Gas 4.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ sheet pan or two round baking pans with oil. An 8-inch pan will yield a thicker cake, a 9" thinner and larger cake.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the apple butter, applesauce, eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Next, slowly add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture. Blend until all of the ingredients are moistened.
- Lightly mix in the grated carrots and then add nuts/raisins (optional). Slap the pans on the counter to help remove large air bubbles.
- Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes. Test with a tooth pick to ensure the stick comes out clean.
- You have a few options for serving. You can serve as single layer cakes or make a layer cake of the 2 round tins if company is coming.
- Frosting: the cake is just as delicious without any topping at all, but traditionally calls for a cream cheese frosting, then garnished with chopped nuts or candied carrots.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!