Traditional sweet sauce served with Christmas pudding. This recipe comes from the ill-fated voyage of Titanic, accompanying the plum pudding which was served in 2nd class.
Christmas Pudding Sweet Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sherry or orange juice
- 1 tbsp. orange zest grated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In the top of a double boiler (or in a metal bowl on pot of simmering water) beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, beating constantly.
- Stir in sherry and orange zest until smooth.
- Place over barely simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 to 12minutes or until thick enough to coat back of spoon. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Serve warm.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups sufficient for 12 servings of pudding.