If your family has had their fill of banana bread, try this lovely one bowl banana and pineapple cake. The crushed pineapple and cinnamon make it similar in flavour to many carrot cakes.
Banana and Pineapple Tea Cake
- 1 can pineapple rings
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, or pecans chopped
- 3 large bananas mashed
- 1 can pineapple crushed, drained
- 1/2 cup corn oil substitute applesauce for low-fat
- 3 large eggs
- Prepare a 10" spring form pan by greasing the bottom and sides. Drain the pineapple rings and arrange on the bottom of the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then stir to combine. Make a well in the bowl and add the remaining wet ingredients, mixing until all the flour has been incorporated into the batter.
- Spoon the batter on top of the pineapple rings. Bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Place on a cake rack to cool. Remove the ring of the pan and invert on a cake plate.
- Serve plain or with a dollop of whipped cream.