Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, which means love is in the air! When it comes to Valentine’s Day treats, rich chocolate and decadent desserts rule. This year, why not prepare an easy yet impressive chocolate-filled delight by making chocolate dipped Oreos to enjoy with your special someone?
Oreos are one of America’s most beloved cookies, with over 450 billion sold since they first hit shelves back in 1912. This iconic sandwich cookie, with its velvety creme filling nestled between two dark chocolate wafers, has become a pantry staple for generations. Dipping these classic cookies in even more chocolate transforms them into a Valentine’s Day worthy indulgence!
In this blog, we’ll explore the history of Oreos and why they make for a perfect V-Day treat, no baking required.
A Sweet History
While the exact origins are muddy, Oreos as we know them today emerged in 1912 with the signature name trademarked by Nabisco. The original Oreo recipe has remained largely unchanged for over a century, though many limited editions, flavors, and creme varieties have been introduced over the decades.
Currently, over 450 billion Oreo cookies have been sold since inception, making them arguably America’s favorite cookie. There’s even an entire day dedicated to them – National Oreo Day falls on March 6th each year.
Oreos have permeated pop culture for generations, beloved for their crunchy chocolate cookie exterior surrounding that oh-so-sweet creme filling. Dip these iconic sandwich cookies in chocolate and you have the perfect bite-sized, shareable V-day treat!
Make It a Sweet Valentine’s Celebration
For chocolate lovers, it doesn’t get much better than rich chocolate coating a chocolatey Oreo cookie. The addition of luscious melted chocolate takes this cookie up a notch, transforming it into an indulgent dessert perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Chocolate dipped Oreos are easy enough to make at home in minutes. Simply melt your chocolate of choice, dip the cookies halfway, decorate with sprinkles or other fun toppings if desired, and allow to set. Serve them up on a tray for your love to enjoy!
You can keep it classic with traditional chocolate or get creative with colored white chocolate, chocolate barks, candy melts, or flavored chocolates like raspberry or mint. Drizzle on even more chocolate in zig-zags or stripes for extra decadence.
However you choose to prepare them, chocolate dipped Oreos are sure to help make Valentine’s Day extra sweet. With treats this tasty, you’re bound to feel the love!
Chocolate Dipped Oreos For Your Valentine
- 24 Oreo Cookies
- 1–2 cups chocolate melting wafers white or brown
- ½ cup white chocolate melting wafer or chips optional
- 2 tbsp. sprinkles optional
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate by placing in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering hot water. Do not let the metal bowl touch the water below.
- Lightly tap each Oreo cookie before dipping to ensure that no crumbs enter the chocolate bath.
- Drop a cookie into the chocolate bath. Use your dipping fork to rescue the cookie, grasping the “cookie ridge” between the two layers to give you a grip on the cookie.
- Gently tap the cookie on the side of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate. Place the cookie on the cookie sheet. If you want to add sprinkles, time to do it before the cookie dries.
- Repeat the process for the amount of cookies you wish to make. If you need more chocolate, simply melt more in your pot. If you have extra chocolate you can pour into a plastic container and when it hardens, remove and store in a plastic bag.
- If you want to pipe a message in another colour instead of sprinkles, to that once the cookie has dried. Melt chocolate, but don’t let it get too hot as it will scorch. pour into a small Ziploc bag and cut off a tiny corner so serve as your piping bag.
- Clean up your cookies by running a sharp knife around the edge to clean up any chocolate drips. These cookies will last for at least a month in an airtight plastic container.