Everybody loves a good coffee cake, but did you know that it evolved over time through the centuries, and it was the Danes who came up with the earliest types of coffee cake. The custom of enjoying cake with coffee began in Europe in the 17th century when coffee gained popularity.
By 1879, coffee cakes were well-known in America and there were already countless recipes for crumb cakes, streusel cakes and streusel/crumb-cake combinations.
This keto coffee cake gives you all the flavours of coffee cake without the carbs.
Keto Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup xyltiol or sugar substitute
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup Xylitol or other sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup nuts chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter thinly slice
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 cup keto confectioners sugar
- 4-5 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. of vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9-inch square or spring-form cake pan.
- Add the topping ingredients to a small bowl, and cut in the butter, mixing with two forks until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir the cooled melted butter, cream, and eggs until they are well combined.
- Add the pumpkin puree to the wet mixture and combine until well incorporated. Then fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly until combined.
- Spread the batter into the pan. Add the topping over the cake and pat gently into the batter.
- Bake the cake for for 30-35 minutes or until the crumbs are lightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the icing sugar with enough cream to make it pourable.
- Drizzle or spread the icing on the cooled cake.
- Slice and serve.