It is also believed that Christopher Columbus and his crew members were probably the first Europeans to have tasted pineapple. They imported the fruit and cultivated it in hothouses. Members of European royal families soon developed a liking for it. It gradually became available to the rich, the noble and the elite.
This is a great cake filling that will make enough to fill a 9″ and 10″ cake.
Pineapple Cake Filling
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Combine the cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan. Add pineapple with juice and mix well.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture turns clear. Remove from heat and add butter, stirring to melt.
- Cool and then refrigerate until ready to use.