Rhubarb was a huge favorite of the Edwardians and continues to be found in spring and summer dining menus. My lovely moist cake made healthier by cutting fat and sugar, and adding more fiber with whole wheat flour.
Healthier Moist Rhubarb Cake
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup of buttermilk (milk with a squeeze of lemon)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1/4 cup Stevia
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF
- Mix the applesauce, brown sugar, and egg, then mix in the milk & vanilla.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix well combined and fold in the chopped rhubarb.
- Pour in to a greased 9 inch cake tin.
- Mix together the extra sugar and cinnamon, and scatter evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.