Rhubarb was loved by the Edwardians. It went into a variety of dishes, from cakes to drinks. You can make this simple syrup as a base to make a variety of beverages to cool you off.
- 5 stalks rhubarb chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 1 cup water
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and then crack the lid on the pot to let the steam escape. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a glass container.
- The syrup will keep refrigerated for about a month.
- Use a a base for your favorite drinks.