This is a healthier version of crumble with much less sugar, and almost no butter contained in other versions. Most rhubarb crumbles will contain strawberries or other berries, but rhubarb is also great on it’s own.
Healthier Rhubarb Crumble
- 8 cups rhubarb trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, or mix of 1/2 rhubarb and half berries of your choice
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Granulated sugar (or sugar substitute like Stevia)
- 2 tbsp. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup large rolled oats
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. apple juice (or more as required)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss together the fruit, sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to a shallow baking dish.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, butter and oil in a bowl; work the ingredients together with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the juice until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Distribute the topping mixture evenly over the fruit.
- Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with non fat strained plain yoghurt with a little honey drizzle, or frozen vanilla yoghurt.