You can’t have roast beef without gravy. It really is so simple to make, right in the roasting pan. The secret to my gravy is using red wine to create a rich taste. You can substitute beef stock for the wine or use a combination of both.
The Best Rich Beef Gravy
- 2 tbsp. fat drippings from roast 2 tbsp butter can be substituted
- 2 tsp. unbleached white flour
- 2 cups red wine substitute beef stock
- Remove your roast from your roasting pan and cover with tin foil to rest. Remove most of the fat from your roasting pan. If you have a lean roast you won't have much.
- Add 2 tsp of flour and mix to create a roux.
- Heat your roasting on your stove top and when hot, slowly whisk in the 2 cups of wine or beef stock.
- Add any juice from the resting beef and feel free to add some water or stock to thin the gravy if you like or more flour if you need to thicken (to avoid lumpy gravy mix a little of the gravy with flour in a separate cup and then add back to the pan).