2020 is the Summer of Gardening and for many, those who have tried gardening for the first time. Gardening is seen as the top outdoor activity for homeowners who feel couped up during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Zucchini plants (or Courgettes as they are called in Europe) can yield a substantial crop so it is helpful to have a number of recipes on hand to handle your harvest. I love zucchini cake as it adds moisture to a chocolate cake without tasting like zucchini. For more recipes click here.
The Best Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 4 cups zucchini shredded
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute like Stevia
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour large tube pan (10 cup) or two 9×2 inch cake pans.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a sieve to release some of its liquid while preparing the cake.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and whisk together. In a small bowl, add the oil, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, mayonnaise, vanilla, and whisk together until thick. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet into the dry and mix until well combined. Finally, add the zucchini and chocolate chips and stir well.
- Pour batter into your tube pan or 2 cake pans. Bake for 50 minutes for the tube pan, 24-30 minutes for 2 cake pans. A toothpick inserted cleanly in the center will come out clean when it is done.
- Place your cake(s) on a wire rack and cool completely in their pans before attempting to take out of their tins.
- I like to drizzle this cake with a chocolate ganache icing which pours nicely over a tube pan and has a nice clean finish. You can serve slices with leftover icing.