This easy recipe comes from Darren McGrady, The Royal Chef who worked in the Palace, serving as Princess Diana’s chef up to her death.
He advises to use a mandoline for this recipe or the shredder attachment on your food processor. It makes the whole process much easier and really shreds the sprouts into a lovely tangle of green. Of course, you can also just use a sharp knife and get the slices as thin as possible.
The Royal's Easy Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Onion and Bacon
- 8 slices smoked bacon cut into ½" strips
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts sliced or shredded
- 2 medium onions peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil as needed
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium lemon juiced
- Sauté the bacon until it starts to crisp in a saute pan. Add the sliced Brussels, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil (as needed) and toss together.
- 2.Saute on the stove for about 5-10 minutes until the sprouts and onion soften.
- 3.Transfer to a serving dish and pour over the lemon juice just before serving.