This is a main dish so good that King Charles appointed it as one of the official Big Lunch dishes people can cook at home for his Coronation.
You can grill this outside on your BBQ in summer or inside on a griddle to get those lovely grill marks. Coated with flavour, fried till tender and then drizzled over the simplest coronation dressing.
This recipe comes from Nadiya’s Flavours
Coronation Grilled Eggplant
- 2 grill pans
- 1 griddle
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggplants sliced into 1cm thick slices (about 600g)
- 3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mango chutney finely chopped
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/4 cup crispy fried onions
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coriander thinly sliced
- Start by putting the oil in a bowl with the minced garlic, onion, paprika and salt. Mix really well and set aside with a pastry brush.
- Place the eggplant slices onto a tray (they can overlap, that is fine). Take the oil mixture and brush the aubergine slices generously with the oil on both sides till you have finished all the mixture. Set aside.
- Put one large or two small (if you have them) griddle pan(s) onto a medium heat (these are great on the barbecue, too, FYI).
- Griddle in batches on both sides. They take approx. 2 minutes on each side. You will know they are ready when the flesh looks saturated, less spongy and softer. Pop onto a plate, overlapping, ready to serve.
- Make the dressing by combining the yoghurt, curry powder, garlic, salt and mango chutney and giving it all a really good mix. Add a few tablespoons of whole milk to loosen the mixture just a little.
- Drizzle the dressing all over the top of the aubergine, saving the rest to serve on the side. Sprinkle with fried onions, raisins and coriander to serve.
Buy the Book