The Victorians were obsessed with rhubarb. Introduced at the time of Queen Victoria’s coronation, the commemorative Victorian variety of rhubarb was easy to grow, reliably robust and consistently sweet and tender, Victoria rhubarb was a runaway smash hit from the start.
Rhubarb puffs are a great way to use rhubarb without being too tart. Enjoy with tea, brunch or breakfast. They are a cross between a muffin and a biscuit.
Originally made with shortening I have lightened them up using applesauce which also makes them really moist.
Amazing Healthy Rhubarb Puffs
- 1.5 cups sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce or non fat plain yoghurt (to replace oil)
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place sugar, water, and applesauce in a bowl.
- Add egg, flour, baking powder, salt, and rhubarb.
- Combine well, and and then fill into well-greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until tops are golden brown.