Colcannon is a lovely mashed mixture of potatoes and cabbage. A great use to “makeover” colcannon is to make them into colcannon cakes. A great addition to your brunch menu.
Second Time Around Colcannon Cakes
- 3 cups colcannon
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chppped
- 4 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- Lemon for garnish
- Mix the egg, flour and salt into the colcannon. You may want to chill the mixture for 15minutes or longer to make it easier to shape the patties. Form into cakes of whatever size you want, but make them flat so they will cook through without burning. If the mixture is too wet, add more flour until the mixture is easier to shape.
- Mix the parsley and breadcrumbs together and place in a flat container. Lightly bread the patties. They will be easier to work with.
- Heat the butter or vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, place the formed patties in the pan so they are not touching. Lower the heat to medium and gently fry until golden, about 3-4minutes. Flip and cook the other side.
- Serve with slices of lemon.