Finding substitutes for high carb dishes can sometimes a daunting task, but fortunately many keto warriors have gone before us. Cauliflower is a staple in many low carb, paleo, keto diets because it is quite versatile. You can get the same silky taste from mashed cauliflower and enjoy Asian and Indian dishes with cauliflower rice.
Cut Carbs with Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower washed and dried
- 1 tbsp. oil
Make the Rice
- Remove the stem and green leaves. Cut into quarters.
- The goal here is to create rice sized pieces. Use a food processor with the grater blade until you get the size of pieces you want. Don't fuss if you get a few larger pieces from the stems. If you don't have a food processor, grate manually with blade/side with medium sized holes.
- Remove excess moisture by pressing your rice between paper towel or clean absorbent dish towel.
- You can store in the fridge for up to a week, and make a few batches and freeze for future use.
Cook the Rice
- Your cauliflower rice isn't particularly appetising raw, so when you are ready to use, just give it a quick cook.
- Use a large skillet with a lid so that the rice has more surface space to cook, Heat the oil, then add the cauliflower and then cover. Stir occasionally and then season with salt and pepper, adding other seasonings like soya sauce to match the recipe you will be using the rice with.