This weeknight meal is super easy to make, placing bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs skin side down in a skillet. Make a simple braising liquid of cider vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, granulated garlic, and red pepper flakes to pour over the chicken.
After 20 minutes on the upper-middle rack of a 425-degree oven, flip the chicken skin side up and continued cooking until the skin was a gorgeous spotty brown. While the chicken rested, defat the liquid, return it to the skillet, and reduce. A bit of cornstarch thickens the sauce to a beautiful consistency. Finished with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, this mahogany-coloured, this chicken dinner will become a weeknight favourite.
Easy Saucy Chicken Thigh Dinner
- 8 5-7 ounce bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 pinch pepper
- ¾ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. water
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds toasted
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Season chicken with pepper and arrange skin side down in 12-inch ovensafe skillet. Whisk vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, granulated garlic, and pepper flakes together in bowl and pour over chicken.
- Bake chicken for 20 minutes. Flip chicken skin side up and continue to bake until skin is spotty brown and meat registers 195 to 200 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to serving platter. Carefully pour pan juices into fat separator (skillet handle will be hot) and let settle for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water in small bowl. Return defatted juices to skillet and whisk in cornstarch mixture. Bring sauce to boil over high heat and cook until syrupy and spatula leaves trail when dragged through sauce, 7 to 9 minutes. (You should have about 3/4 cup sauce.) Season with pepper to taste.
- Off heat, return chicken to skillet and turn to coat with sauce. Flip chicken skin side up and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve with white rice and vegetables.