Every gardener who grows zucchini likely has a zucchini bread recipe at the ready.
If you are new to growing this prodigious crop, you can’t go wrong with Fannie Farmer’s classic recipe.
This recipe 2 small loaves so you can freeze one or gift to friends, family or neighbours.
Fannie Farmer's Classic Zucchini Bread
- 8.5 x 4.5 bread pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- 2 cups walnuts very coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs lightly and then add the buttermilk, shortening, and sugar. Beat until well combined.
- Then, by thirds, beat in the flour mixture until completely combined.
- Beat in the zucchini and walnuts.
- Divide equally between two 8½ x 4½ inch bread pans that have been greased and floured. Bake in the middle of an oven that has been pre-heated to 350° F. Bake for 50 minutes or until a broom straw or skewer inserted straight down in the middle of the loaf comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and cool on a baking rack for 5 minutes before turning the loaves out to cool completely.