Cranachan is a simple boozy Scottish dessert recipe traditionally made of oats, whisky, cream and berries.
Purists soak toasted oats in whiskey, mix with whipping cream and throw in a few berries for good measure. You can make a heart-healthy version by substituting non-fat greek yogurt in place of whipping cream.
This colourful dessert is a delicious way to end a romantic meal or your Robert Burns Supper.
Simple Scottish Bonnie Cranachan
This is a simple boozy Scottish dessert traditionally made of oats, whisky, cream and berries. A colourful dessert for your romantic meal or to end off your Robert Burns Supper.
- 1 pound red berries mixed, ie raspberries and strawberries)
- 1 sprig rosemary fresh
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 medium orange juiced and zested
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 3.5 ounces almonds sliced
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup whipped crean substitution plain nonfat greek yoghurt
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. whiskey a generous splash
- 5 ounces raspberries fresh
- In a small saucepan heat the berries, rosemary, 1 tbsp. honey, the orange juice and zest. Bring to a boil, then simmer for roughly 10 minutes, or until thick. Remove the rosemary, and cool in a small bowl.
- While the syrup is cooking, place the oats in a clean frying pan and toast until golden brown, three or four minutes. Place in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp honey and the sliced almonds to the frying pan on medium heat. Toss until the almonds are light golden and sticky.
- Fold in honey, vanilla and whisky into the greek yoghurt.
- To assemble, layer the stewed berries, toasted oats, sticky almonds and flavoured cream, topping with fresh berries and another splash of whiskey. Use sturdy wine glasses so you can see the mix of color.
Purists soak toasted oats in whiskey, mix with whipping cream and throw in a few berries for good measure. Traditionally diners would make their own from the ingredients laid out on a table.
Serving: 100gCalories: 458kcalCarbohydrates: 65gProtein: 7gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 2mgPotassium: 250mgFiber: 5gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 58IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 67mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!