This is a family favorite recipe from my grandmother who baked alot of pies in the summer. It is easy enough to freeze so you have on hand when the need for pie hits your family. Depending on what you put in your pie or how you present it, the pie pastry can be served upstairs or down.
Plentiful Flaky Pie Crusts to Feed Any Crowd
- 5 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 lb. lard shortening
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- Shift dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or two forks.
- Put egg and vinegar in a measuring cup and fill to 3/4 cup with cold water.
- Mix dry ingredients and make a dough. Use your hands or a food processor. It isn't particularly fussy to work with and you will end up with a lovely flaky crust.
- Divide the dough into discs and refrigerate for at least an hour before using. You can easily freeze what you don't use for future pie happy times.