This is a great use of holiday leftovers, as the secret ingredient for these cupcakes to make them dense and healthier is sweet potato. I love the idea of cupcakes but not a fan of the 75% icing and 25% light cake. These are dense and satisfying cupcakes, which Lord D has crowned the best cupcake I have ever created for him.
Awesome Healthy Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup Xylitol or sugar/other sugar substitute
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweet potato, pureed
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12 cupcake tin with liners.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl mix all the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips at the end and mix to evenly distribute.
- Fill the cupcake liners with the batter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
Delicous Chocolate Fudge Icing
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Melt chocolate with butter over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Combine sugar, salt, milk and vanilla. Add chocolate, blending well. If necessary, let stand until it sets to spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Spread quickly, adding a small amount of additional milk if frosting thickens.
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups, or enough to cover tops and sides of two 8 or 9-inch layers, the top and sides of one 9-inch square or 13 x 9-inch cake, or the tops of 24 cupcakes.