This is a great use of holiday leftovers, as the secret ingredient for these cupcakes to make them dense and healthier is sweet potato. I love the idea of cupcakes but not a fan of the 75% icing and 25% light cake. These are dense and satisfying cupcakes, which Lord D has crowned the best cupcake I have ever created for him.
Awesome Healthy Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup Xylitol or sugar/other sugar substitute
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweet potato, pureed
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12 cupcake tin with liners.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl mix all the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips at the end and mix to evenly distribute.
- Fill the cupcake liners with the batter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.