This is a simple pie from WWI when food was rationed. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
Vegetable Pie with Potato Crust
This is a simple pie from WWI when food was rationed.
- 2 large onions
- 2 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 medium turnip
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup lentils canned
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pinch herbs and spices (rosemary, cumin) to taste
- 1 medium potato mashed
- 1 1/3 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat oven to 375º F
- Scrub and then finely chop all vegetables. Leave the skins on for extra nutrients. Sauté with herbs in olive oil until soft.
- Take off heat and add vegetable stock and the lentils.
- Spoon the filling into a casserole dish (will yield too much filling for a pie plate)
Make the Pastry
- To make the pastry mix the shortening into the dry ingredients
- Add the mashed potato, mixing together with a little cold water. It should make a nice easy-to-roll dough.
- Roll out the pastry and cover, sealing the edges of the pie with a fork.
- Bake for 45 minutes and serve hot.
Use whatever vegetables have on hand.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!