Fools are a favorite British dessert best enjoyed in summer when fruits are plentiful. The French word foulé means pressed or crushed, and refers to the simple mixture of crushed fruits and whipped cream. It is very simple to make and very delicious. A perfect addition to your garden party that many of your guests will not expect.
Low Fat Version
To cut the fat you can replace a portion or all of the whipped cream with non fat plain yoghurt. I love the tang of greek yoghurt so I am all in. However you can still have the best of both tastes by a 1:3 ratio of whipped cream to greek yoghurt or even 1:1.
All you need to do is use a sugar substitute to make this a keto favorite.
Versatile Blueberry Fool
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar keto: substitute Stevia
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream low fat: 3/4 cup heavy cream and 3/4 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Make the Blueberry Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, place 1 1/2 cups blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar and the salt over medium heat until bubbling. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the blueberries are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and juice; remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup blueberries and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Make the Cream
- Beat the heavy cream in a bowl with a mixer or whisk until soft peaks just begin to form. Beat in the vanilla and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Gently fold into the yoghurt if you are using.
- Gently fold all but 1/3 cup of the blueberry sauce into the dairy product. Divide among glasses and top with the remaining blueberry sauce.