Is your family tired of banana bread and yet overly ripe bananas are begging for a new life?
Banana and peanut butter is a classic flavour combo, but if you have family members with tree nut allergies, try this moist snack cake with a nutty flavour from sesame tahini.
No need for a fork as the snack cake holds up well when sliced. You can easily cut it into delicate slices for your afternoon tea tray.
Yummy Banana Tahini Snack Cake
Banana and peanut butter is a classic combo, but tahini is an interesting alternative ingredient, particularly for those with tree nut allergies.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 1¼ cups sugar or sugar substitute xylitol
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas 2 to 3 bananas
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8-inch square baking pan. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda together in bowl.
- Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, tahini, and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. Add bananas and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, scraping down bowl as needed. Give batter final stir by hand.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top with rubber spatula. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds. Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
- Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan, discarding parchment, and let cool completely on rack, about 2 hours. Serve. (Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.)
Serving: 20gCalories: 231kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 4gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 153mgPotassium: 139mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 193IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!