This is my go to banana bread recipe I make when our bananas start getting too ripe for our taste. To dress it up for tea I use chocolate or carob chips instead of walnuts and slice into finger lengths for the tea tray.
Never Fail Healthier Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2-1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 -1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Prepare 1 large bread pan
- In one bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl combine sugar, applesauce and eggs. Beat vigorously until frothy.
- Add mashed bananas to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Add walnuts and raisins or mini chocolate chips if desired.
- Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, until crust is brown. Use toothpick to test. This will also make 12 yummy muffins, which will take 35 minutes to bake.