Just because you are eating Keto (essentially low carb, low sugar diet) doesn’t mean you have to miss out on summer treat like ice cream. Just make your own. This is my favorite ice cream recipe which I make at least once a week in the summer.
Decadent Keto Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened nut milk (almond, cashew) divided
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar Substitute (Swerve, Stevia)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 tbsp vodka helps reduce iciness
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp liquid stevia extract or other sweetener to taste
- 2 tsp xanthan gum helps reduce iciness
- Make an ice bath. Find a large metal bowl and fill one third with ice. Pour enough water to reach half the bowl. Place a smaller metal bowl inside and set aside.
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat on the stove. Add the cream, 1 cup of the nut milk, cocoa powder and sweetener. Whisk together until well combined and stir until mixture reaches 170F on an instant read thermometer.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl. We need to temper the yolks before adding to the hot cream so slowly add 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the yolks, whisking continuously. This will prevent them from curdling. Slowly add tempered yolks back into the saucepan, whisking continuously. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 175F on an instant read thermometer and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into bowl set over ice bath and let cool 10 minutes. Then wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup nut milk, vodka, if using, vanilla extract and stevia extract.
- Sprinkle the surface with the xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and churn.. Once churned, you can serve immediately or you can pack in an air tight container and freeze until a little firmer (1 to 2 hours).
- For portion control I like to pour into popsicle molds.