This is a great recipe if you don’t have the time (or courage) to attempt a fruitcake or plum pudding. The cake will still give your holiday a taste of British tradition. If you already stocked your larder with homemade mincemeat and applesauce you have already put a lot of love into this cake.
Holiday Mincemeat Cake
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Mincemeat make your own recipe below
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 3 tbsp. brandy/sherry
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Grease and line an 8 inch round cake tin, 8 or 9 inch loaf pan, or bundt pan.
- Beat applesauce and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add eggs,mincemeat and brandy.
- Stir flour and baking powder together and add to the wet ingredients until well mixed. Scoop the mixture into the pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- The cake is done when a skewer is inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, slice and serve.
- apple sauce