Bubble and Squeak is so called because of the noises it makes whilst frying in the pan. It is a traditional English dish made from the leftovers of Sunday dinner or Christmas dinner, with the main ingredient being the leftover potatoes and cabbage, though most vegetables can be added such as Broccoli and carrots. It is all mashed together, shallow fried in hot lard, and then traditionally served along with cold meats (also leftover from the Sunday/Christmas roast) and pickles, or sometimes served as part of a cooked breakfast with an fried egg on top.
English Makeover Bubble and Squeak
Bubble and Squeak gets is name from the noises it makes whilst frying in the pan. It is a traditional English dish made from the leftovers of Sunday dinner or Christmas dinner, with the main ingredient being the leftover potatoes and cabbage. Serve at brealkfast with an fried egg on top.
- 1 tbsp. butter or bacon fat
- 4 rashers bacon chopped (optional)
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 cups cooked potatoes mashed or boiled
- 2 cups cooked cabbage or brussel sprouts sliced, or shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked carrots (for a splash of color)
- 4 large eggs fried (optional)
- If your potatoes are not already mashed, mash them in a bowl. Finely chop or shred your leftover vegetables and add them to the bowl, mixing them in with the potatoes.
- Melt the fat in a non-stick pan, allow it to get nice and hot, then add the bacon if you are using. As it begins to brown, add the onion and garlic.
- Add the vegetables to the pan. Press the mixture down with a spatula and smooth it out slightly. Leave it undisturbed to cook on a moderate heat for five minutes or more until a nice thick brown crust forms, then turn it over and repeat before serving it up.
- If you are serving for breakfast you can place an fried egg on top for a complete meal.
Cooks are often advised to use equal quantities of potatoes to vegetables, but there is no golden rule. It is the potato that binds it all together and so having more potato than vegetables is fine. You can use leftover boiled potatoes or even roast potatoes if you wish. Using animal fat will allow you to reach higher temperatures which is when it starts to ‘Bubble and Squeak’ plus you’ll get a better crust.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!