Isabella Beeton, best known as Mrs. Beeton, the Victorian Domestic Goddess. Her cookbook Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management was published in 1861 when she was only 23. It was an instant success, selling 2 million copies in 1868.
Her lemonade recipe is a classic.
Mrs. Beeton's Classic Lemonade
- 2 large lemons, unwaxed zested
- 3 large lemons, unwaxed juiced
- 3/4 cup caster sugar or sugar substitute
- Place all the ingredients in a large jug and top up with 1 quart of water. Cover with cling film and leave to steep in a cool place or in the fridge for 2 days, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 days strain the lemonade into a clean jug and store, covered with cling film in the fridge.
- Use within 7 days of making.