As Henry James once said: “There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea”.
Today’s treat is phyllo tarts, a simple and elegant way to vamp up your tea or dessert tray for the holidays or any time of year.
My Online Guide to the Tea Ritual
Taking a traditional “afternoon tea” is definitely a bucket list experience. To do it properly, I have created a handy guide to help you enjoy the experience: Downton Abbey Cooks Online Guide to Afternoon Tea.
Mini phyllo cups provide a great elegant base for both sweet and savoury one bite treats for tea tray or your Downton Viewing Party buffet. We have used phyllo cups earlier to make truffled mushroom tartlets. By adding your own ingredients you can control what you are eating and serving. Find them pre-made or make your own which will keep for a few months in an airtight container.
Quick & Easy Phyllo Tarts
- 8 ounces plain non fat greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 small orange (zest and juice)
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries or other small berries, rinsed and dried
- 4 tbsp. pistachios toasted and chopped (optional)
- 12 frozen mini phyllo tart shells or make your own*
- Mix together the ingredients (except for the nuts) and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Don’t fill the tarts hours before your guests arrive or they will get soggy.
- Spoon in the cream mixture into the shells, sprinkle with pistachios (if you are using them) and then top with fresh berries and a wee sprig of mint if you are so inclined.