First published in 1896 as The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer, the cookbook quickly became known as the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. By far the most famous cookbook of its era, it changed the world of food preparation, teaching generations of Americans how to cook.
One of my favourite summer recipes from the cookbook is her colourful Bolivia (Potato) salad.
Bolivia Potato Salad
- 1.5 cups potatoes peeled, boiled, cooled and cut in .5" cubes
- 3 large eggs hard boiled, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp. red peppers finely chopped
- 1.5 tbdp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup lettuce leaves
- Mix ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour over Cream Dressing (recipe below) and serve in nests of lettuce leaves.