“Galette” is french, meaning free form tart, typically made with a flaky pastry crust. This crust is light and scrumptious and a great addition to your garden party. Use whatever fruit combination you wish, but peaches and blueberries are a wonderful combination and come in season around the same time.
Glorious Peach & Blueberry Galette
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 2 cups peaches peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup light muscovado sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tbsp. demerara or dark brown sugar
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter to the flour working quickly with your fingers or use a pastry blender/2 forks to incorporate until mixture comes together.
- Beat the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl, then add to the flour mixture. Work the mixture together until you create a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, press it into a flat disk, wrap it in the plastic. Place in your refrigerator to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a pizza pan with parchment paper. The shape is right and with the holes in the pan you avoid the soggy crust.
- In a medium bowl, toss the peaches and blueberries with the muscovado sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Lightly flour your clean work area and roll out the dough to a 12- to 13-inch round.
- Transfer the dough to the pizza pan. Arrange the fruit in the center of the dough, leaving about at least one inch of space from the edge clear.
- Fold the outside edge of the dough over the fruit, pleating to where you need to. Brush the crust with the egg. Sprinkle the demerara sugar evenly over the dough and fruit.
- Bake until the crust turns a light brown and the filling bubbles, about 50minutes. Let cool for 10minutes then cut into wedges.
- Serve warm.