A French tart is straight-sided and open-faced and stands supported only by its pastry shell.) When the shell is ready for unmolding, the pan is set over a jar and the false bottom frees the shell from the sides of the pan. It is then, with the aid of a long-bladed spatula, slid off its false bottom and onto a rack or the serving dish.
Gorgeous Peach and Nectarine Tart
- 9" tart pan with straight edges and false bottom
- 3 large peaches fresh
- 3 large nectarines
- 1 pot boiling water
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 inch partially cooked pastry shell recipe below
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter cut into pea-sized dots
- 1/4 cup almonds sliced ro slivered
- 1/2 cup Apricot jam heated
- Cut an "x" in the bottom of each piece of fruit with a sharp knife. Drop the fruit in boiling water for 10 to 15 seconds. The skin will be easy to peel now. Cut into 1/4 inch slices, keeping the nectarines separate from the peaches.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of sugar in the bottom of the pastry shell. Arrange the peach slices over the sugar in a closely overlapping layer on the outside of the pan. Next create an inner layer of nectarines which are smaller in size. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar on top. Dot with the butter.
- Bake in the middle level of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until you can see the fruit has changed colors slightly, and the juices have become syrupy.
- Decorate with the slivered almonds, and spread on the heated apricot jam.Serve warm or cold.
Traditional Shortcrust Pastry
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp. sugar or sugar substitute
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 large egg yolks I freeze the whites for future baking
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 2 tbsp. cold water
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar. Work in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (if you must you may use a food processor). Add the egg yolks, vanilla and water until a smooth dough is formed. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
- Unwrap the chilled pastry and roll out as thin as you can (cuts the calories) to fit a 9-inch fluted panWork the dough into the crevices of the pan.
- Line with tin foil, fill with baking beans and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for 5 minutes.