Making hand-rolled cabbage rolls is a skill that has been passed from mother to daughter for generations. You can learn to make your own from my recipe passed to me from my mother but there is no shame from taking an easier route.
This layered casserole provides all the flavour but none of the work.
Messy Cabbage Roll Casserole
If you don't have the time, patience or skill to make traditional cabbage rolls, you can still create the same flavours in this easy casserole
- 1 medium head of cabbage sliced into 1/2" strips
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped small
- 3/4 cup white rice uncooked
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 24 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef along with the onion.Drain any grease from the pan and add the rice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the skillet with the meat. Add the crushed tomatoes and stir to combine. Spread the meat mixture over the cabbage in the baking dish.In a large Spread the cabbage across the bottom of a 9×13 dish.
- Grease a large baking dish or dutch oven. Layer one-third of the shredded cabbage on the bottom, then a third of the meat mixture. Repeat, ending with the cabbage layer.
- Mix together the tomato sauce, sugar and vinegar and pour over the top. Cover with lid or foil and then bake for 90 minutes. Let sit 10-15 mintues before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!