If you are concerned with reducing the amount of fat in your baking, you can find low fat condensed milk, but it is harder to find low sugar condensed milk to suit a low sugar lifestyle. Thankfully you can make your own. It takes a little time but otherwise very easy. Once you have made a supply, you have on hand for your low sugar baking.
Thank Goodness for Sugar Free Condensed Milk
- 2 cups heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup stevia sweetener
- The wider the base of your pan the faster the cream will evaporate so you can use a skillet if you wish. Place all your ingredients in the pan and put on medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced by nearly half. stir occassionally and do watch to ensure the mixture doesn't come back to the boil.
- This will take 15 to 20 minutes and should be thickened to coat a spoon. Pour the mixture into a medium jam jar which will be heat resistent. The condensed milk will It w thicken as it cools.
- Store in the fridge if you aren't using. It will be thick when you take it out, but dip the jar in hot water for a few minutes or microwave for 10 seconds to regain the pourable consistency.