Since strawberries and rhubarb come into season about the same time, it is natural that they are often found in Spring and Summer treats. The Edwardians in particular enjoyed rhubarb in breads, sauces and even cocktails. This recipe is a current favorite in our household, which allows me to give my rhubarb plants a bit of a trim, not a full hair cut.
Yummy Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rhubarb sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 cup strawberries cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup skim milk or soy milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Streusel topping (optional)
- 6 tablespoons regular oats
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare a 12 muffin tin by spraying with non stick coating or oil lightly with a paper towel. The downside of low fat muffins is that your muffins will stick to paper liners, so your best course is to simply oil your tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, milk, egg, sugar, applesauce and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix just enough to combine.
- Scoop batter into the prepared muffin tins, fill until 1/2 full. This makes a smaller muffin, but good for portion control.
- Combine the streusel ingredients and lightly sprinkle over each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through (when a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean).